It’s true every author, traditional or self-published, wants and needs reviews. Each year getting reviews from blog tours and release events becomes harder and harder. Book bloggers are busy and many have said they find their books on NetGalley.
In our recent survey, we asked authors if they used NetGalley and so many didn’t. Some didn’t know indie authors could be on NetGalley or they thought the cost was too much. It’s true the cost of NetGalley is expensive if you want to list one book for one author on NetGalley. It’s something like $700 for six months. As far as we can find they don’t offer a month to month service.
Before we discuss how we can save you money let us answer some basic questions about NetGalley for you and how we run our NetGalley Co-op.
So what is NetGalley?
NetGalley is an innovative and easy-to-use online service and connection point for book publishers, reviewers, media, librarians, booksellers, bloggers and educators.
NetGalley delivers digital galleys, often called advance reading copies, or ARCs, to professional readers and helps promote new and upcoming titles. Professional readers–reviewers, media, journalists, bloggers, librarians, booksellers and educators–can join and use NetGalley at no cost.
What are the benefits?
There are many benefits but the main one would be that your book(s) are available to NetGalley’s entire database of reviewers. Being on NetGalley also offers author’s the chance to qualify for promotions run by NetGalley. We can help set that up and of course, there are fees from NetGalley that the author would be responsible for but can get your book in the inbox of every NetGalley reader within your books category.
What happens after your book is on the site with us?
We take care of all the administration duties. You don’t have to worry about checking anything on the site. Once a reader requests a book we look at their profile to determine if they are a reader that has a history of follow-through. We look at things like: how many outstanding books a reviewer has, how much feedback they have left, how many actual reviews they have turned in and how many books have they been approved for overall on NetGalley. In addition to that we like to make sure the reviewer is currently active on whatever platform they are reviewing. An author can also give us guidelines to follow as well.
Okay, so what’s the cost?
- 30 days: $50
- 5 months (and get one free) $250
We also now offer READ NOW options. If you’d like to place your book in NetGalley’s READ NOW program – which is where the book is available instantly to reviewers. They don’t need to wait to be approved to read the book.
- 2 week spot: $20
- 30 days: $30
- 6 weeks: $45
We have no control over when or where a reviewer leaves their review. We do send one follow-up email to those that were approved for the book (this wouldn’t apply to the READ NOW packages) at the end of the books run on the site.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a waiting list? Often times there is a waiting list, yes. However, don’t let that stop you from signing up. We will increase our available space if the waiting list reaches five requests.
- What if I buy five separate months over the course of a year or two, can I still get the one free month? No, the free month is only available when someone books five months or more all at one time.
- If I sign up for six months, am I limited to one book the entire time? Or can I feature several different books? With ten days minimum notice, we can easily swap out the title listed on NetGalley from month to month.
- What if I want to list six separate titles in one month? Is that still eligible for the buy five, get one free deal? Yes, of course. However, the odds of having six open slots in one month are very, very slim. Most of the time, we operate with a waiting list.
- Can I update a file once it is on NetGalley? Yes, but only once. After that a $10 fee will be charged.
- How many reviews will I get? That is impossible to answer. Neither Buoni Amici Press nor NetGalley guarantee a specific number of reviews. Nor do we guarantee a specific star rating. What NetGalley provides is increased exposure to reviewers, thus increasing the odds for reviews.
- When does the scheduled month start and stop? Could I pick specific dates during the month, for example, the 10th through the 9th? Start date is usually a few days into the new month but at the latest books are up by the 10th of each month and your 30 days start the day your book is live on NetGalley.
- Can I pay for my six (or however many) months in installments? The short answer is no. A book cannot be submitted to NetGalley until the payment has been made in full.
- Can I receive a refund once my book(s) are on NetGalley? No, but you can sell your spots to a fellow author if something comes up and you don’t need the spots/months you’ve paid for.